Guide to Purchasing Glass Garage Doors in Los Angeles
It’s not uncommon to see glass garage doors in Los Angeles. Sleek and modern, they are desirable to homeowners who want to modernize their properties. Glass garage doors typically have an aluminum frame, which is durable, lightweight, and rust- and corrosion-resistant. If you are considering installing one in your garage, here’s a guide to help make important decisions.
What Is a Glass Garage Door?
A glass garage door functions the same as any other garage door. It is opened and closed by a standard garage door opener. A metal frame serves as the main structural component. However, glass panels determine the overall look and feel of the finished product. Glass doors can be installed in residential or commercial garages.
Glass Garage Door Options
Glass garage doors are highly customizable. For that reason, there are many considerations when purchasing one, including:
- Glass Type: Tempered glass is often standard. It is heat-treated to make it four times stronger than standard glass and won’t break into large dangerous shards. Insulated glass is thicker and increases energy efficiency if you want to keep your garage warmer. For even greater shatter-resistance and soundproofing qualities, laminated glass is available.
- Glass Thickness: The standard thickness for garage door glass is ⅛ inch. However, it’s more common for people to choose ¼-inch thick tempered glass. Insulated glass is typically available in 7/16-inch, ⅝-inch, and 1-inch thick options.
- Opacity: Frosted glass allows less light in and increases privacy. It can also have aesthetic advantages depending on the design you prefer. Window glass can be tinted, mirrored, or shaded black for the most privacy.
Cost of Glass Garage Doors
As of June 2022, installing a residential glass garage door costs $4,500 on average.1 But the actual installation cost varies. Glass garage doors in Los Angeles are found in a range of sizes, materials, finishes, and designs. Tempered glass garage doors tend to cost less than insulated or laminated units. And, generally, the larger the door, the higher the price. Common sizes include 8’ x 7’, 8’ x 8’, 9’ x 8’, 10’ x 8’, 16’ x 8’, and others.
Door style is another cost factor. Rollup doors are usually more costly than swing-up garage doors but have fewer maintenance requirements. Anodized aluminum frames are often standard, but many manufacturers offer a choice of colored powdered coatings that can add to the price. Filling the frame, rails, and stiles with an insulative layer also increases the cost. The cost of replacing or upgrading your existing garage door opener may be a factor as well.
Benefits of Glass Garage Doors
In addition to boosting your home’s curb appeal and modernizing its exterior, installing a glass garage door allows you to enjoy these perks:
- Resistance to the Elements: Unlike wood and other sensitive materials, glass doors won’t decay, rot, or warp due to weather conditions. They are also moisture- and insect-resistant.
- Durability: Most people think of glass as fragile and easily breakable. But tempered glass is much stronger. It does not wear out and is as durable as wood or aluminum panels.
- Energy Efficiency: Glass garage doors allow natural light into your garage, reducing the need for artificial light. Insulating materials keep your garage cooler in summer and warmer in winter, so your HVAC system doesn’t work as hard.
- Privacy: You can choose opaque glass that allows enough light to enter. Meanwhile, it protects your privacy inside and prevents potential intruders from taking a peek to see your valuables.
- Low Maintenance: A glass garage door doesn’t need to be re-painted or re-stained. You can remove dirt and grime with a glass cleaning solution and towel. However, you will need to clean the glass panels frequently. The aluminum frame can be cleaned with mild detergent and rinsed with a garden hose.
Accessories for Glass Garage Doors
You can add latches, pull handles, or ring pulls to your garage door. Strap hinges can also be included. There are custom door stops and seals as well. If you desire, you can install faux handles that match the style of the door. Contact your garage door installer to learn about all your options.
Contact Us About Glass Garage Doors in Los Angeles
Mesa Garage Doors provides high-quality products and services at unbeatable prices. We install and repair all types of garage doors. Our installers and repair technicians are factory trained and covered by full liability and workers comp insurance. Conveniently located in Anaheim, we serve Los Angeles, Orange County, Riverside County, San Bernadino County, and Ventura County. To learn more about installing a glass garage door or request repair service, call (714) 613-0646 today.