Everything You Need to Know About Garage Door Repair
If your garage door needs repair, there are two options—attempt to fix it yourself or call a professional. Many repairs require experience and personal protective gear. As for the types of garage door repair you can do with the right tools and parts, here is a look at how to approach the process.
Common Garage Door Problems You Can Fix
Garage door owners will almost certainly experience these issues eventually:
- The Garage Door Won’t Fully Close: This is usually an issue with the photo eye sensor. Check the sensor and transmitter on either side of the door to make sure they’re aligned (they’re mounted about 6” from the floor). If not, adjust the pivot bracket so both components face each other. Also make sure there are no objects blocking the path of the infrared beam; if there are, remove them and any dirt, debris, or cobwebs that may be in the way. These issues usually take about five minutes to fix.
- The Garage Door Is Dirty: Excess dirt increases wear and tear and reduces curb appeal. But you can wash a garage door with a wet cloth, sponge, or soft brush and some mild dish soap. Wipe down the door and then use clean water to rinse it down. For glass garage door windows, use dish soap, vinegar and water, or other non-abrasive cleaning solution. Also, clean any debris out of the tracks and, twice a year, use a spray-on car wax to protect steel doors from corrosion.
- The Garage Door Is Noisy: Noise can mean a lot of things. If it’s caused by springs, hinges, or roller bearings that need lubrication, you can apply a lubricant. This should be done every two or three months. Lubricate lift cables as well. You can also tighten any loose nuts and bolts using a screwdriver. It also helps to clean dirty rollers and tighten loose hinges; misaligned tracks can be fixed by loosening screws or bolts, moving tracks into position, and retightening the mounting brackets and fasteners.
But if you’ve tightened and lubricated metal parts, and the garage door is still noisy, contact a garage door repair professional.
Do Not Fix Garage Door Springs on Your Own
A professional can replace a garage door spring quickly. It’s not a complex job but attempting it without the proper experience is extremely dangerous. A broken torsion spring is easy to identify; the coil will be visibly separated, leaving a gap. When a break occurs, there’s typically a loud bang. But it’s the high tension and rapid unwinding that is dangerous. A spring unwinds in less than a second and, if it breaks apart, can cause severe injuries.
If a garage door spring is broken or beginning to fail, the signs include:
- The door stops after moving just a few inches.
- The garage door is bent at the top.
- The door won’t open when the emergency release cord is pulled.
Other DIY Garage Door Repair Tips
When realigning or tightening metal tracks, check for dents, flat areas, or crimps. Minor damage can be fixed by pounding the affected area with a rubber mallet, or a hammer and block of wood. Use a level to check alignment. A horizontal track should have a slight downward slant, toward the back of the garage. If you have a roll-up door, the tracks should be plumb, or upright. Also check that each track reaches the same height on the opposing walls.
Dirty tracks should be immediately cleaned to prevent excess wear and tear. A household cleaner can be used to remove dirt and grease. Then wipe the tracks and rollers dry before operating the garage door again.
When tightening loose hardware, check the hinges of your roll-up door to make sure they are tight and can hold the door together. Tighten any loose screws and, if any hinges are damaged, replace them. And when you find any enlarged screw holes, find a longer screw of the same diameter; dip a hollow fiber plug in carpenter’s glue and insert it with the new screw.
If you have a wood garage door and it cracks at the hinge, this can be fixed. Just remove the hinge, fill the crack with wood filler (including the screw holes), and replace the hinge after the filler dries. You can also move the hinge onto solid wood if there’s another place to secure it to.
Contact Us for Garage Door Repair
Mesa Garage Doors can fix any issue with your garage door and we’re available 24/7. For most other issues than the ones mentioned above, you should not try to fix them yourself. It can risk serious injury, damage, and avoidable expenses. For garage door repair service in Anaheim, Los Angeles, and Southern California, book online or call 800-893-1107 today.